New and Renewable Energy Research Center
New and Renewable Energy Research Center (NREC) is established to solve diverse problems raised by serious energy exhaustion in concept of “New and Renewable Energy”. NREC was newly founded in May 2009 at Ewha Womans University for finding solution and preparing measure through multidisciplinary and convergent research about new and renewable energy, and improving research competences of our university.
New and Renewable Energy means "the energy that use through transformation of existing fossil fuel or variable renewable energy which occurs naturally in environment including sun, water, geothermal heat, river water, and living organism". As unstable oil price and claim change regulation caused by exhaustion of fossil fuel becoming a global issue these days, the importance of new and renewable energy is on the increase and it is required that more variable ways of supplying energy. So if price competitiveness with other traditional energy sources are secured, it is expected that new and renewable energy project can greatly increases as futurity and next-generation industry with IT, BT, NT industry.
Our center will make a multidisciplinary and organic connection with whole area including physics, chemistry and engineering, and especially through combination with Nano Science Technology, will build up the foundation which find and promote the R&D project in the field of energy-related area in Ewha Womans University. So we will be faithful to the role as a driving force leading to improve energy-related education field and boost research competence. In 2018, NREC was proudly granted by National Research Foundation (NRF) for focused-research center program for next 9 years. Here, the research purpose, programs and goals are briefly explained.
Purpose of Research
- Creation of next generation energy source using multidimensional new material based complex and hybrid structure and devices
- Synthesis of multi-dimensional complex and hybrid structure based on new and existing materials and fabrication of new concept solar cell
- Understanding of materials for new concept energy devices and improvement and optimization according to external conditions
- Study of transport mechanism through interfacial control, electron transfer, quantum transport characteristics study
- Production of new concept energy device with large area and high reliability by securing excellent material group
 Solar Cells
- Fabrication of complex and hybrid solar cells based on oxide, organic and inorganic compounds
- Band junction control in new solar cell composite inorganic thin film including perovskite
- Development of large-area device by micro-junction transfer technology and fabrication of multi-dimensional nano material junction structure
- Photoelectric properties at the surface and interface, and mineralization and transport characteristics under external environmental control
 Nano and Low dimensional Materials
- Nanostructure direct growth and nano structure control of metal oxide based one-dimensional shape
- Three-dimensional nanostructured complex and hybrid synthesis of metal-oxide composition by spinning and vapor deposition
- Prediction of electrochemical reaction mechanism in catalytic reaction and development of high efficiency catalyst by using scanning electrochemical microscopy and density function theory
 Quantum Transport
- Understanding the charge transport mechanism by the spectral characteristics of multidimensional materials
- Observation of light-material interaction with scale and study of optical characteristics in single atom layer
- Observation of electronic structure change and characteristic characteristics according to external factors such as temperature and light source
Research Goals and Impacts
- New material synthesis and device development with excellent optical conversion characteristics
- Fabrication of Applied Element by Composite Structure Optimization and Control of Electron Transport by Nanostructure Bonding
- Development of new and renewable energy source through development of high efficiency catalyst
- Application of new concept of energy device of multidimensional material according to charge transport mechanism
In addition, our center is keen to develop international collaboration. We have hosted several international conferences and workshops. In particular, a long-term collaboration with Chinese scientists is a key part of our activities. INPEC2018 was held in Ewha campus between August 25 and 28, 2018. We will further develop interactions with Japanese, Vietnamese, and other Asian countries as well.
INPEC2018 held at Ewha in 2018 Summer
Director, William Jo